Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Log Song?

Hugh inspired me to post, cause he posted two days in a row. My idea of writing a very brief thought in my calendar is going ok, but not great. Maybe I can find balance between a one sentence thought, and a post that takes forever. Hopefully. Anyway, here is a post for today. :-)

Luke 6:41 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

I LOVE this scripture. It has always made me laugh. And it's always applicable to my life, cause the "editor" in me is constantly evaluating everything around me, picking out "specks". I have found in the past that the same aspect of my personality that allows me to be a good editor, and find the things that are "wrong" also allows me to find all the little details that are amazing and beautiful. But that only happens when I make sure I include God. And the more I try, the better it gets. I friend once told me that every time he meets someone or talks to them, etc. he picks out one thing he likes about them... their voice, their smile, their necklace, anything. I love that idea, and I forget about it. Umm... anyway, I've definitely got some "planks" in my own eyes. And even though I'm not really one to point out a "speck" in someone else's eye, I do use the fault I find in others as an excuse to not make changes myself. Or something like that. Wow, I'm out of practice and can't seem to put this into words.

The thought that's going on my calendar for me to see today: Finding fault in others will not make me a better person. Finding God will do that. Encourage others and find what makes them beautiful. :-)

Ok, this is pretty silly I suppose, but this scripture always makes me think of that log song. I think it was from Ren and Stimpy or something... "It's log, it's log, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood. It's log, it's log, everyone wants a log." Strange, I know. But it's part of why I love this scripture. It always makes me laugh to spend the day with that song stuck in my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment