Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Thanks for the words!

SOAP - Thanks for the words!

Scripture
Mark 13:11 "Whenever you are arrested and brought to trial do not worry beforehand about what to say. Just say whatever is given to you at the time, for it is not you speaking but the Holy Spirit."

Observation
Jesus is telling the disciples not to worry about knowing the right thing to say when they are arrested because the Holy Spirit will be there with them and give them the words they need.

Application
I like this scripture just because this has happened to me and every time I read it I am so thankful and it reminds me of a time when I felt like God was right there beside me. This summer I was kind of in charge of a big project at work. But in most of the meetings my boss had done all the talking. Well, we came to the day of a meeting that knew would be potentially nasty. I had been feeling sorry for her that she'd have to stand up to other peoples ideas at the meeting and try to convince everyone to go along with our plan. The meeting was about to start and she was not there. I don't remember where she was. I think she may have had to go to another meeting and trusted me to take care of things. I considered leaving and just dealing with the consequences of potentially losing my job. I did not want to go in there. It's not that I'm not good at meetings like that... I just flat out can't do it! But thankfully God went with me, gave me peace of mind, gave me the calm I needed to talk in front of people and gave me words to say so that I could be polite but still stand up to people. It was amazing. It really felt almost like I was just sitting back watching myself be guided by God. It's funny to me that I have this GREAT experience and yet I still hesitate in other areas of life when God gives me words to say, like when I feel him telling me I should talk to someone, try to be more outgoing, tell someone about our church. I still resist. I still cling to the shy personality that comes so easily to me. But I know God will give me words to say. And I know there is no greater thing than to serve the Lord and let his love speak through me.

Prayer
Dear Lord, thank you so very much for all that you have done for me. Thank you for being with me in that meeting and allowing me to be someone that I cannot be on my own. Lord I pray that you would help me have courage to be the person you are calling me to be all the time, not just when I've asked for your help, but also when you've asked me to do something for you. Thank you Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment