Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Help me see the first step

SOAP - Help me see the first step

Scripture
2 Corinthians 8:13-15, 9:7,11 Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. Then there will be equality, as it is written: "He who gathered much did not have too much, and he who gathered little did not have too little." ... Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. ... You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion...

Observation
Paul is encouraging the generosity of the Corinthians.

Application
In parts of what Paul is saying it sounds like the Corinthians have been very generous in the past and have over time become less generous. I can totally believe that. For the most part I've not been frustrated by the gifts I feel called to give, but there are certainly times when I think of things I'd like to have, places I'd like to go and focus on that giving... thinking that if I had some of that back I could do the fun things I want to. That's not really what spoke to me in this scripture, just something I noticed that I can relate to. Anyway, it's the words "but that there might be equality" that get me. Yikes! Really? We are all meant to give such that among everyone there is equality? Among the whole world? I feel like God is calling me to give more, maybe time, maybe money, resources, who knows what. But when I think of giving all I can see is the overwhelming picture of trying to make the whole world equal. And that is totally unapproachable to me. I know there is a smaller step out there somewhere. That is where I need to start.

Prayer
Dear Lord, please help me see the smaller picture of where I can increase my giving. Help me see the first step to take. Forgive me for my resistance to being generous. Lord help me have a generous heart. Thank you Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment