Saturday, October 17, 2009

A good wife?

Job 1, 2
Acts 6, 7

SOAP - A good wife?

Scripture
Job 2:9-10 His wife said to him, "Are you still holding on to your integrity? Curse God and die!" He replied, "You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God and not trouble?" In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.

Observation
Job is enduring the horrible things that have happened in his life and still praises God. His wife on the other hand, has had enough! She told him to curse God and die.

Application
Well, one of our study Bibles says that Satan probably left Job's wife there with him instead of killing her because she was only making him more miserable! Yikes! That is not the kind of wife I want to be. There will be good times and there will be bad times. The burden of the bad times shouldn't be increased by us being angry and torturing our loved ones. I've done it and I'm not proud of it at all. And God's helped me a lot in that area. I hate that my reaction to struggles in the lives of my loved ones is often anger, but it often is. And it's hard for me to hide it and it's not productive. Job calls his wife foolish. My Bible says that the Hebrew word for foolish denotes moral deficiency. I want to offer moral strength. I want to be the wife standing by and saying "I know times are tough, but we can't curse God, praise God!" I certainly don't want to be the wife that is making her struggling husband more miserable. Same for all my loved ones.

Prayer
Dear Lord, give me strength to be a supportive, loving and gracious wife, friend, daughter, etc. I pray that when my loved ones face struggles I will keep my faith in you and not make things worse for them. All the good that is within me is from you Lord. I thank you for that. Let that good be there for my loved ones and within them as well. Thank you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment