Monday, October 5, 2009

You still lack one thing...

Esther 1-8
Psalm 150
Luke 17-18

SOAP - You still lack one thing...

Scripture
Luke 18:23-27 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." When he heard his, he became very sad because he was a man of great wealth. Jesus looked at him and said, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God! Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Those who heard this asked, "Who then can be saved?" Jesus replied, "What is impossible with men is possible with God."

Observation
If you are not willing to part with your material possessions, you're not going to enter the kingdom of God. It won't be easy to let go, and we can't do it on our own. We need God's help. He can make is possible.

Application
It's the same message again and again... "Kristy, you have too much stuff!" One day Hugh will come home from work to an empty house with a "sold" sign out front and we'll be hoping no one notices that we seem to be at the new church building all the time. No, not really. At least for now I don't feel God telling me to give away everything. But as I've said, there is a definitely a lot that needs to go. I've been thinking that God would somehow eventually make it easier to let go of things. But after reading this I'm thinking it won't get easier at all. I think I often look at a situation and decide that if looking unapproachable, if it's not easy, then God isn't really calling me to do that. I figure when the time comes for me to do what he wants, he'll make it look approachable and easy. Umm... not sure where I got that idea. Instead, I think God puts something big and scary in front of us. It's not approachable and easy. We depend on him to get us through. In the end even if everything falls apart, it still turns out "good" because our relationship with God is strengthened. He makes it possible for us to do things we can't do on our own, and be people we can't be on our own.
Another thing I noticed here is that it says "kingdom of God", not "heaven". Maybe everyone knows they are the same thing. But I don't know that. Too me the kingdom of God could be right here on earth in our everyday lives. Too me that is not just saying that it will be hard to get into heaven if we are focused on wealth. It's also saying that in our everyday lives it will be hard to lead a Christian life if we are focused on wealth. God won't be able to use us the way he wants us to because our attachment to "things" will be holding us back.
I love it and hate it at the same time when I realize something God is doing, and the fact that I'm holding up the process. I keep wondering where God is trying to take my life. And he keeps telling me, "Kristy, you have too much stuff!" And I'm still sitting there figuring I'll get rid of stuff eventually, wanting to know where God is taking me life. I'm thinking I probably won't find out much more about where he is taking my life until I get rid of some things. :-)

Prayer
Dear Lord, I'm scared and I feel incapable of being who you want me to be. But I know you are ready and willing to help me if I go where you lead me. Lord help me see the places where I turn away from you and give me strength to follow you even when it's not easy at all. Thank you Lord for your love. Thank you for all the ways you've already helped me do things I never thought I could do and be someone I never thought I could be. Your love is amazing. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment